Before we dive into the benefits, let’s talk about your glutes!
What are the glutes and what do they do?
The glutes are a group of 3 powerful muscles – the gluteus maximus, gluteus medius, and gluteus minimus. They help us stabilize and move our hip joints. From rolling out of bed in the morning, to standing upright, to moving throughout our day — the glutes play an important role!
What are the benefits of strong glutes?
The benefits of strong glutes go far beyond just their appearance. Here are 5 ways improving glute strength can benefit you:
- Improve athletic performance. Strong glutes can help to improve your power, speed, and agility.
- Reduce the risk of injury. Weak glutes can contribute to a range of injuries, including knee pain and lower back pain. Strengthening your glutes can help to reduce the risk of these injuries.
- Improve posture. Strong glutes can help optimize the alignment of the pelvis, reducing the risk of lower back pain and other posture-related issues.
- Improve balance & stability. Strong glutes can help to improve your balance and stability, which allows you to safely move the way you want to.
- Better overall health. If your overall health is a piggy bank, imagine that each of the benefits above is a coin. Each of them contributes to filling your piggy bank, and in turn improves your overall health!
How do I strengthen my glutes?
The optimal way to strengthen any muscle, including your glutes, is with a progressive program! A progressive program gradually adds onto your workouts by increasing the number of repetitions, sets, time or weight of the same movement.