Team! It’s no secret that yoga has overall health benefits, but is it worth adding to your existing workout routine? The answer is yes! Yoga is a fantastic way to improve both your performance and recovery.
Here are 5 benefits of adding yoga to your workout routine:
1. Reduce stress. Perhaps one of the most surprising benefits is that yoga can help de-stress, which in turn improves performance and enhances recovery. It encourages mindful breathing through the practice of coordinating breath with movement. When your breathing is slower and in rhythm with movement, your body and mind tend to reach a more relaxed state.
2. Reduce soreness. Yoga is incredibly versatile and can be used as both active and restorative recovery on rest days to help relieve soreness.
3. Improve mobility and flexibility. Yoga can help improve your mobility and flexibility by taking your joints through ranges of motion they may not typically go through in your normal workout routine.
4. Improve strength. You may find over time that you have not only gotten stronger in yoga poses that were once hard, but that this strength has also carried over into your normal workout routine.
5. Add novelty to your routine. If you’ve been training for a while, you may have noticed that your workout routine can feel a bit mundane and repetitive. Adding yoga into your routine can help keep it fresh and enjoyable.
Each of these benefits plays a key role in optimizing your workout routine.
Looking for a place to start? Check out this 4-week Yoga Challenge, designed to improve your strength, flexibility, and balance.